I've just returned from a roadtrip with some friends to attend a wonderful wedding in the hills of Tuscany. We started in the enchanting hills of Signa, Tuscany, where the wedding was held, and then we headed for Lake Como and Lake Garda before a pit stop in Nuremberg to greet a friend's new baby girl! I met up with Claudia at the wedding - unfortunately she couldn't stay as long as I could, but we had a blast nonetheless! In between our major stops we were also able to see Florence, Lucca, Pisa, Genova (only by car as we got lost on the Autostrada!), Verona and the vast Alps of Austria and Switzerland. I can honestly say it was one of the best trips of this year. Really fun and relaxing!
- Nina and Daniel's incredible wedding in the Tuscan hills!
Staying at the gorgeous Il Borgo di Villa Castelletti - if you're ever planning to stay in a villa in Tuscany, this is the place to do it!
- Cycling through Lucca
- The incredible colours of the Italian countryside
- Seeing Florence from the top of the Duomo (those stairs are not for the faint of heart!)
- Eating melone flavoured gelato everywhere
- Eating Florentine steak. It's worth every penny
- Seeing Lake Como and meeting a man who plays the piano for George Clooney!
- Climbing the fortress at Sermione and taking in the view
- Viewing the waterfalls only 30 minutes away from Verona at Parco Delle Cascate. If you have a spare few hours in Verona, do it!
- Playing card games for hours on end with the endless lake as a backdrop
- Wandering around Florence by night
- Accidentally driving through Genova and really enjoying the seaside view!
- Stumbling across some beautiful floral displays in Nuremberg
I've posted our favourite photos for you below. Feel free to pin away with us (our Pinterest account is here
) as inspiration for your next European trip!
Il Borgo di Villa Castelletti - the most accommodating and beautiful Villa
Watermelon by sparkling waters
Our friend Esther cycling through Lucca
Side streets of Lucca
Florence's Il Duomo
Nina and Daniel's wedding in the Tuscan Hills. Magical.
A sneaky shot of the photoshoot - what a backdrop!
Fans were necessary at the wedding - for the heat, and the mystery!
The Florence cityscape as seen from the top of the Duomo. If you can make the 400+ stairs, it's so worth it!
The Florence cityscape again. So breathtaking.
The countryside villa gardens
Claudia meets David. Did you know that Michelangelo made David's hands and head so large because it was originally meant to be standing from a pulpit in the Duomo? Michelangelo wanted his head and his hands to be prominent as seen from the pews.
A restaurant at Lago Di Garda. We couldn't not eat there!
A long pier into Lago Di Garda
The view atop Sirmione Castle
Jump right in!
The rooftops of Sirmione as seen from Sirmione Castle
A lovely arch in Lago Di Garda
The famous arches of Verona
The statue garden inside Verona Castle
The view from our room at Lake Como
A Lake Como Restaurant
Italians aren't just crazy about gelato, their cones are great too!
Me at Nuremberg Castle with the city behind me
A Nuremberg restaurant display
The Swiss alps!
Have you been to Tuscany? Let us know your favourite places in Italy to visit!